Different types of websites require different approaches to design in order to meet the expectations of their users. Medical websites are no exception to this rule. By learning about your site’s potential audience and their needs, you can design a great medical website which captures customers and increases conversions.
Below are a few tips to help you create a successful, well-designed healthcare website:
1. Prioritise function over form:
Innovative, cutting edge design techniques have their place in the web design world. However, they should be used sparingly when creating a healthcare website.
When a potential client visits your healthcare website, they should be immediately greeted with all the necessary information they need to book an appointment, view opening hours and read about your services. Any fancy animations or resource-heavy scripts can confuse or frustrate the user, causing them to leave your website quickly.
An effective medical website will have a theme that is modern and attractive, but simple in nature. This will allow users to interact with your website using the elements and conventions they are familiar with.
2. Provide Well Organised Information and Resources
Medical websites can serve users as a great source of educational information. This can be in the form of several pages, videos or resource directories. Regardless of the format, it is important that this information is easy to find and access by customers.
Consider organising your navigation menu so that a variety of resources are only a click away. Alternatively, categorise pages so that users can easily find what they are looking for. Otherwise, consider creating a well-optimised and regularly updated “Services” or “Resources” page.
Not only can high-quality resources keep users on your site longer. They can also improve your site’s presence on Google resulting in higher search traffic.
3. Consider Accessibility and Universal Usability
When creating a website for medical information and services, you should also consider that a portion of your users will suffer from disabilities or illnesses that can make browsing the internet difficult. In order to create a website that is usable to almost anyone, you should consider the following accessibility options:
- Text to speech functionality – For users with impaired vision, text to speech software is vital to a satisfactory browsing experience. To optimise your website for text to speech, keep your formatting, paragraphs and coding simple and easy to understand. Also, be sure to provide correct and relevant alt text for images.
- Ensure all content can be accessed without a mouse – Users with reduced dexterity or repetitive strain injuries may struggle to use a mouse or keyboard. Make sure your site can be navigated using the “Tab” key to ensure that alternative input devices can interact with your site correctly.
- Format your content correctly – Appropriate use of headings can organise content by importance. This helps with accessibility and also improves SEO. If your page is very long, it is also a good practice to create a “table of contents”, with anchor links to each key heading or topic.
4. Allow customers to book at any time.
It is important that users are able to book an appointment at any time, from any page. This improves the conversion rate of your site and secures more bookings. For this reason, we recommend that you utilise one or more of the following:
- A phone number placed directly into your site’s navigation – Phone numbers should link directly to your business phone number so that mobile users can simply click the number to call.
- A sticky footer with contact buttons – Having a “Contact Us” button in the footer allows for better conversions on mobile devices. This is because the button doesn’t come buried in the hamburger menu.
- Contact details in the footer or sidebar – It is common for businesses to include their address, email and phone number in the sidebar or footer of their website. This allows users to see all the important information at a glance.
Do you need a website for your healthcare business?
Are you in need of a well-converting, highly effective medical website? If so, we can help.
When searching for a healthcare provider, users will often dismiss websites that are difficult to use, unorganised or lacking quality content and design. However, a modern, clean and effective website will capture customer attention and serve as a great asset to your business.
With our help, you can have your very own medical website that is attractive, effective and easy to use. This means that customers can read about your services, book an appointment or view tour address and contact details all through your website
When you choose Web 105, we can provide you with:
- A responsive, mobile-friendly experience
- Great web security
- An easily updatable platform for posting content
For medical and healthcare website design, contact us today!